Designed for engineers, product development and marketing managers, energy investors, policy makers, educators and others impacted by new policies and practices relating to renewable energy, the University of Nevada, Reno’s online Graduate Certificate in Renewable Energy provides working professionals with the opportunity to learn about energy technologies, energy markets and business, and energy policy. Graduates of this certificate program will be prepared to apply their knowledge in the energy-related workplace.
The multidisciplinary certificate program began in spring 2012 and includes elements of several engineering disciplines as well as science, business and policy/political science.
Certificate Requirements and Course Format
Students must complete four 3-credit (12 credits total) courses to earn a graduate certificate in renewable energy. Because the semester-based courses are offered online and students can choose between 2-3 courses in the summer semester and 5-6 courses in the fall and spring semesters, the certificate program can realistically be completed in as few as two to three semesters.
These currently include:
- Interdisciplinary fundamentals of alternative energy and public policy process
- Policy instruments utilized to foster use and development of renewable energy
- Business, legal and public policy issues related to renewable energy projects and business development
- Solar energy technologies and applications and related public policy, economic, and environmental issues
- Exploration of the fundamentals and application of biofuels in today’s energy and environmental challenges
Future courses include the topics of:
- Wind energy technology (Fall 2013)
- Geothermal energy technology (Spring 2014)
- Fundamentals of power system operation, introduction to the smart grid, and integration of renewable energy-based generation to the grid
- Media and Renewable Energy (Spring 2014)
Visit the curriculum page for a complete description of the GREC courses and schedule.
Why choose the Online Renewable Energy Certificate program?
- The courses are designed and taught by top faculty from Nevada and other research institutions.
- The GREC program is unique in its makeup, offering multidisciplinary courses in engineering, science, business, and political science that are interrelated in the area of renewable energy.
- Selecting four courses from a large group of GREC courses gives you the opportunity to take courses based on your interest areas.
- The online, instructor-led courses are designed to facilitate participation in discussions, case-study analysis, and problem based learning.
- The online format of the courses provides you with the opportunity to participate in courses from anywhere and on your own time schedule.
- Courses may qualify as professional development hours for Professional Engineers (PE) licensed by the State of Nevada and as professional development education for teachers.